Document on Food Sustainably Farmed
LANDMARK UNIVERSITY OMUARAN
DOCUMENT TO ENSURE THAT FOOD PRODUCED ON CAMPUS ARE SUSTAINABLY FARMED 2023-2026
Recognizing the critical importance of sustainable and responsible food production practices in promoting the health and well-being of our campus community, preserving our natural environment, and contributing to the broader global effort to combat climate change and promote food security. Landmark University Omu-Aran, Nigeria is committed to the principles of ethical and environmentally conscious agriculture, which prioritize soil health, water conservation, and biodiversity and therefore establish these policies to guide and ensure the sustainable farming of food produce on our campus.
- Landmark University farms (Both crop and animal) shall only engage in sustainable farming practices.
- Food items used at the University Cafeteria shall be source from local suppliers
- Crop rotation plan that optimizes soil health and reduces the risk of pest infestations shall be practised in LMU
- In LMU campus, cultivation of a variety of crops to enhance biodiversity and promote a balanced ecosystem shall be ensured.
- Practices such as composting, organic fertilization, and minimal tillage to improve soil structure, fertility, and water retention while minimizing erosion for optimum soil health management shall be enforced in LMU campus.
- When sourcing and developing products, LMU shall consider a wide range of environmental and social impacts.
- LMU shall ensure that agricultural and production methods conserve and protect ecosystems, habitats and species.
- LMU shall ensure that the highest possible animal welfare standards for meat and animal derived food and drink products
- Annual reviews of action-related progress will be conducted, and results will be shared with the University Community
- The Sustainable Food Policy covers all food outlets and cafeteria food and drink served by Landmark University.
- University food suppliers must comply with the Sustainable Food Policy.
- All staff and students of Landmark University have an obligation to uphold the Policy.
Dr. E. T. Alori
SDG 15 Team Lead